Sunday, April 10, 2011

P(izza) Love and Special Sauce

In all this gf pizza making, I stumbled upon two tips for making tomato cheese pie, gf or not:

(1) Don't sauce too heavily. Makes for a limp crust. I've started using even less than I did here:

Now is not the time to be a saucy Susan.

 (2) Use a bare-bones pizza sauce. I found this one, Don Pepino:

No frills.

It contains tomatoes, corn oil, salt, spices, and powdered garlic. Of note: no sugar. There is no need for sugar in a sauce. Adding it will just result in the creation of pizza food; don't do that to your nice gf crust, okay? What did it ever do but love you?

I don't know if Don Pepino's is available nationwide (it's made in NJ, but owned by the B&G company) but if, like me, pizzeria pizza is what you're after, I'd go for something similar. Heck, pop your head into the most old-school pizza place in town and see what they're using. I plan to do the same next time I'm in my home 'hood of Bay Ridge.

And with that, I think I can close the chapter on pizzeria-pizza-at-home for now. Though suggestions and comments are definitely welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment