Tuesday, April 12, 2011

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled (GF) Programming...

to bring you a Brooklyn Moment: Manhattan Special espresso soda, made in Brooklyn since 1895.

Yes, espresso soda. In a beautiful little bottle. Look:



And look at what happens when you pour it:

Creamy goodness.




























































































































































Is that not a beautiful thing? I'd forgotten how thick and creamy a head it gets, literally just like a Guinness. My gf-self misses Guinness more than pizza, so I had a visceral response to this gorgeousness. I mean, really, who wouldn't:

Look at the head on that thing!

Guinness resemblance aside, this beverage is delicious in its own right. I grew up drinking Manhattan Special, buying it from the corner store now and again. It always struck me as so grown up, the beautiful small bottle and dark thick bittersweet contents. When I was shopping at my local Key Food for pizza ingredients, I passed by a shelf of these and stopped in my tracks. Had to have it, especially at only $1.19 a bottle!

Thing is, I gave up coffee about 2 months ago and this, this is made with serious espresso. They do offer a decaf version, but I was after that childhood memory, so I went for it. As I preheated the oven for pizza, I cracked the bottle open, poured -  and have been jonesing for another one since Saturday! Will probably get the decaf next time, as it is no joke and I was jittery after drinking it. But you, you regular coffee drinker you, I'm sure you can handle it. It is delicious. It will make you happy.

If you can't find it in your area, you can order directly from family-owned Manhattan Special!

No comments:

Post a Comment