Friday, April 8, 2011

Pizza Food

Many years ago, an old friend and fellow native Brooklynite coined the term "pizza food" to categorize anything that is pizza-like, but most definitely not pizza. This covers pizza bagels, English muffin/pita pizzas, and frozen pizza of the Ellio's ilk. It's also used as a derogatory term for any pizza parlor fare that is, well, crap. Usage guide:

Me: "Did you try the slices over at the new place on 3rd?"
He: "Eh."
Me: "What do you mean, "eh"?"
He: "It's pizza food. Too sweet, too many foo-foo toppings."

Like that.

But into every life a little pizza food must fall, especially if you're gluten-free. Until recently, we've been at the mercy of limited options and products that are safe, but not always tasty. And while more and more fresh pizzeria options are popping up, especially around NYC, many remain unsafe due to cross-contamination. (Though not all! I'll have the scoop on some good options soon.) There do seem to be more frozen gf pizza options than ever before, but I find that most of them are (1) expensive, (2) too salty, and/or - yes, (3) pizza food.

I want pizza that tastes like it was made in Brooklyn by an old Italian guy who came over from the old country. Like it comes from a place named Nino's or Gino's or Rocco's, carried out in a white cardboard box with a little oil spot on top where the cheese hit when I tripped over that crooked curbstone on my block.

I'm this close to getting what I want. (Just need the box and the old Italian guy.) Lemme 'splain:

I mentioned here that I've been on a pizza-making spree as of late. And, by George, I think I've got it. Or, rather, them. I've found two at-home pizza options that have me delighted beyond words. And I'm going to tell you all about them this weekend. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment