Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Buckwheat and Hemp Cereal (A Review)

I love cereal - or I used to, before celiac. I loved cereal in a Seinfeldian way; like Jerry, I had many different flavors on the shelf at all times and deemed it an appropriate choice for any meal. I was raised on non-sugary cereals - Grapenuts, Wheaties, Raisin Bran, All Bran, etc. and loved them, on their own or with some fruit and nuts added. That said, I never said no to the frou frou flavors with fruit nut cluster type things, and sweet options like Life Cereal (oh, man - I miss that one!), and Cracklin' Oat Bran.

But that all came to a screeching halt with my celiac diagnosis over 10 years ago. Back then, there were only a few options - mostly variations on rice cereal that, eh, just didn't float my boat. While I was - and continue to be - grateful that companies were making gluten-free rice cereals, they always left me feeling hungry after. And, while I certainly miss the interesting cereals with clusters and such in them, what I really miss are the hearty brown wheat flakes. Thanks to the good folks at Erewhon, I don't have to miss 'em anymore. Behold, their buckwheat and hemp cereal:



Hearty. Brown. (Not-Wheat). Flakes. 

If you add raisins, it tastes like raisin bran! Better, even - as these flakes are hearty and hold up in milk without getting mushy. So, so good. Unlike any gluten-free cereal I've had to date. Delicious and filling - I feel like I've had a meal when I eat it.

Look for this box at your local Whole Foods:


Perty

Thanks, Erewhon!

No comments:

Post a Comment