Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Rhong Tiam (Gluten-Free Thai!)

Right as the snow started to fall last Friday (finally, snow!), I headed into the city for an early dinner at Rhong Tiam with a GF friend. We'd both been wanting to try Rhong Tiam since Liz over at Misterbelly posted about it this past fall. It's a casual little spot that does a ton of take-out, but has a few seats for folks who want to dine-in. I was overwhelmed by just how much of the menu was GF, and had a hard time choosing. In the end, I went with an item Liz had posted about, the Drunk Man Noodle, here with shrimp.


Noodles! 

I hadn't had noodles like that in years; very broad rice noodles with an amazing - almost chewy - texture. Outstanding. (Though, heads up: This dish is incredibly spicy - so hot I couldn't finish it. There are other dishes with those noodles - and a lower heat level - on the menu.)

My friend had dumplings, soup, and these yucca fries, served with an orange mayo dipping sauce:

You can't tell from this pic, but it's a HUGE portion of fries. 


Bottom line: Neither of us had gluten-related reactions and both of us really liked the food. I'll be back - soon. (Oh, those delicious noodles!)

Rhong Tiam has two NYC locations, 31 E 21st and 154 Orchard St (between Rivington and Stanton).  






No comments:

Post a Comment