Friday, April 1, 2011

Chametz-Free (Why This Shiksa Loves Passover)

Rainbow Cookies: Italian-inspired, Jew-produced, gf-goy-girl-consumed.
I love Passover. I look forward to it every year, for one very special reason: rainbow cookies. About five years ago, Wegmans in Ithaca, NY started carrying kosher gluten-free items from Shabtai Gourmet.- but only at Passover, when observant Jews need to avoid chametz, loosely defined as leavened grain products. To my delight, these old school Italian cookies were among the offerings - AND they taste like the real deal. Moist cake, great chocolate icing, and the essential raspberry/almond flavor combo in the cake and filling. Perfetto! (Er, l'chaim!?)

Only "problem"? I can't eat just one. Or five. Really, they are addictive and unkind to my waistline. So I save them as a treat for every Passover season, when they make their appearance in NYC grocery stores such as Morton Williams and Food Emporium (where I recently found the beauties pictured above). Can't wait for Passover to get your cookie fix? Shabtai offers $5.95 flat rate shipping on all orders in the U.S.

Though this post is a tribute to gf rainbow cookies, I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend another Shabtai product, i.e. their lady fingers. They're perfect for a gf tiramisu - and more reasonably priced than the few other gf lady fingers I've seen on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment