Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Beecher's Gluten-Free ("World's Best") Mac and Cheese

I'm not a mac & cheese person. Never have been - even when I could eat gluten. A bite or two is fine, but it always seems like such a bland treatment of pasta and cheese - completely one note. I much prefer any pasta dish involving tomato sauce. On the rare occasion I do have mac & cheese, I always (ALWAYS) add ketchup and/or hot sauce. (A crime in some southern states, I imagine.)

So when Twitter told me about the gluten-free mac & cheese at Beecher's, I wasn't too excited. Am always psyched to hear about more GF options, just not personally excited about this item. But since I was running errands in the Union Square area last weekend, I decided to pop in and check it out.

Love a grand NYC facade


 Which, hell, is worth the trip just for the view from Broadway:


New York, New York!

Since it was a Saturday, Beecher's was pretty darn busy, so I just got my mac & cheese,


grabbed a sample of their (deeelicious) Flagship cheese, and checked out the in-store cheese-making area before heading to the register.

Cheeeeeeeeese!

Have to say: This GF goodness ain't cheap. I was kind of surprised by the price at the checkout: $18! Almost put it back, but decided these folks probably wouldn't have bothered to make a GF mac & cheese if it wasn't outstanding. (They call it their "World's Best Mac & Cheese", perhaps an honest claim?) Also? It's a hefty portion - says 4 servings on the box, which I'd agree with if you're serving it as a side. As a main course, I'd call it 2-3 servings.

Ok, enough with details. Here are the goods:



I took a bite and let out a long "Mmmmhh!" This mac is piquant and flavorful, full of what was clearly more than one cheese - just MMM. I ran to get the box out of the recycling, to see just what was in this magic: Their Flagship cheese - the one I had tasted in-store - along with some jack cheese, chipotle peppers, chili peppers, and garlic, among other things. In short: This ain't your momma's mac & cheese.

I'd be a liar if I said I'm a mac & cheese convert. Still not my go-to pasta dish. But I can say: Beecher's is the only one I'll buy from now on if the craving strikes. Just head and shoulders above the rest; unlike any mac & cheese I've ever had. May just be the world's best after all.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful post about our GF Mac! I'm so glad that you liked it, especially since you're not a big fan of mac to begin with. Thanks for posting about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks for thinking of us GF folks when planning your product line, mister. It's really an outstanding product. (And, honestly? I'm already kinda hankering for more. May have made a mac & cheese person out of me, after all!)

    ReplyDelete